Chamberlain’s MyQ smart garage door opener is one of the best and most popular smart garage openers today. It allows homeowners to control and monitor their garage doors and manage their home lighting remotely from the myQ app. While this offers a degree of convenience, as integrating different platforms becomes increasingly important, many myQ owners wonder; Does myQ work with Google Home?
Google Home is a hub that allows you to build a personalized smart home by setting up, managing, and automating thousands of compatible devices. Sadly, myQ doesn’t work with Google Home. However, this doesn’t mean it is impossible altogether. MyQ is compatible with Google Assistant, which, when connected, can allow you to operate myQ through Google Home. If you’re fed up with using the myQ, read on to find everything you need to know about integrating myQ with Google Home to use voice commands to control your garage door.
Does myQ Work with Google Home?
No, myQ doesn’t connect directly to Google Home. However, it is compatible with Google Assistant. Linking your Google assistant to myQ lets you control your garage door and lights using voice commands.
Notably, integrating myQ with Google Assistant only allows you to use voice commands with Google. The garage door opener won’t show in the Google Home app.
How to Connect myQ with Google Assistant?
Linking your myQ-enabled garage door opener with your Google Assistant allows for convenient, hands-free garage door management with voice commands. To enjoy this convenience, here are steps to connect your myQ app with Google Assistant:
1. Connect Using MyQ Google Assistant Subscription Service
The service that allows you to integrate myQ with Google Assistant is usually premium, requiring device owners to pay a monthly or annual subscription. Fortunately, the service is currently free for a limited time.
To link your myQ app with Google Assistant, follow these steps:
- Download and install the Google Assistant app on your smartphone
- Launch the app and tap on the Compass symbol at the bottom right corner
- On the screen that opens, type myQ into the search bar, and tap on myQ app when it appears.
- Tap the “Link” and carefully input the required credentials to link your myQ with Google Assistant. This integration will allow Google Assistant to control your myQ devices remotely.
- Confirm that your smartphone and the myQ-enabled garage are on the same WiFi network. If your garage door opener receives a weak signal, you may need a WiFi extender to extend the WiFi signal to the garage.
- Go to https://www.myq.com/google-assistant, and scroll to find “Activate Subscription.” Tap on it. This will prompt you to choose a Billing Cycle. You can choose to be billed monthly or annually. However, if you choose an annual subscription, you will be required to pay immediately.
- Select how you would like to pay for the service, input the billing information, and select Place Order.
Once everything is set up correctly, you can control your myQ-enabled garage door using voice commands. However, this won’t allow you to connect your myQ account to your Google Home.
Bad News: Google Assistant and myQ have stopped working together as well. According to Chamberlain Support, Google Assistant access is not supported for new myQ users; it is only available for existing myQ users.
Further, existing myQ users who sign out of their Google Account won’t be able to relink their myQ account to Google Assistant.
2. Add myQ to Google Assistant Using IFTTT
IFTTT means If This Then That and offers a straightforward way to link your myQ with Google Assistant. Here are steps to follow to link your myQ with Google Assistant via IFTTT:
- Download and install the IFTTT app, log in, and create a new applet. Click Explore and then Create to create an applet.
- Tap on + to generate an IF trigger.
- On the next screen, search for Google Assistant, choose “Say a Simple Phrase,” and input the statement you will use to control your smart garage door opener.
- Tap on + this time to generate the Then That command. Choose myQ and select the statement you entered.
- Name the new applet to finish.
While this is an easy way to integrate myQ with Google Assistant, it won’t let you know the status of your garage door.
Voice Commands for MyQ Google Assistant Subscription Service
After integrating myQ with Google Assistant, you can use the following commands to control or check the status of your garage remotely:
- Ok Google, ask myQ if my garage door is open.
- Ok Google, ask myQ if my garage door is closed.
- Ok Google, tell myQ to close my garage door.
Connecting your myQ-enabled garage door opener with Google Assistant allows for hands-free garage door management. Proper integration allows you to control your smart garage door with voice commands. Since myQ is no longer compatible with Google Assistant, new users will have to connect their myQ-enabled garage doors through IFTTT.