Home automation platforms like Ecobee and Ring have become prevalent for homeowners to monitor, control, and secure their living spaces. Ecobee manufactures smart WiFi thermostats that enable remote temperature adjustments and scheduling.
Ring offers a range of home security products, including video doorbells, security cameras, alarm systems, and lighting.Many homeowners utilize Ecobee and Ring products, raising the question – can you integrate Ecobee thermostats with Ring security devices?
The answer is yes; there are multiple methods to connect these two platforms to unlock some powerful automation capabilities. By properly connecting your Ecobee and Ring gadgets, you can enjoy enhanced home security, remote access, energy savings, and overall convenience.
Follow along as we dive into the steps and best practices around integrating these two popular smart home brands. Assessing Ecobee and Ring Hardware Compatibility.
Compatible Models Between Ring Devices and Ecobee SmartThermostats
Before attempting to integrate your Ecobee thermostats and Ring devices, it is important to verify you have compatible models that support linking together:
- Ecobee3 Lite – Contains built-in Alexa for voice control
- Ecobee3 – Features integrated Alexa with a speaker for audio alerts
- Ecobee4 – Alexa with speaker plus an additional room sensor
- Ecobee SmartThermostat – Alexa support and enhanced touchscreen
Ring Video Doorbells:
- Ring Video Doorbell – The original wired model
- Ring Video Doorbell 2 – Improved motion detection
- Ring Video Doorbell Pro – Enhanced video and audio
- Ring Video Doorbell Elite – Works with existing door chimes
Ring Security Cameras:
- Ring Stick Up Cam – Hardwired or battery-powered options
- Ring Floodlight Cam – Motion-activated security lights
- Ring Spotlight Cam – LED light with built-in siren
- Ring Alarm kits – Combine base station, keypad, sensors
- Ring Alarm components – Mix-and-match individual pieces
Provided your Ecobee thermostats and Ring cameras, doorbells, or security systems are contemporary smart models with the latest firmware, you should be able to integrate them using one of the next methods.
Enabling Native Ecobee and Ring Integration
The most straightforward way to connect your Ecobee and Ring devices is to leverage the native integrations the two brands have built directly into their apps:
Enable Smart Home Integration in Ring App
- Open the Ring app and select the hamburger menu > Devices > Linked Devices
- Choose Works with Ring and scroll down to select Ecobee
- Enter your Ecobee account credentials when prompted to link accounts
Connect Ring in Ecobee App
- Go to the Ecobee app menu > Connected Services > Add Service
- Search for Ring and select it
- Log in with your Ring username and password upon request
Once linked through the native Ecobee and Ring integrations, you will be able to do things like view live Ring camera feeds directly in the Ecobee app, get notifications when someone presses your Ring doorbell, and control your Ring Alarm security modes right alongside your Ecobee thermostat controls.
The native app-level integration provides a solid foundation for basic functionality between Ecobee and Ring products. Next, we’ll look at an even more advanced method using EFT.
Creating Applets with IFTTT
IFTTT, which stands for “If This Then That,” is a free web-based platform that enables creation of automated recipes called applets. IFTTT can connect various smart home services like Ecobee and Ring to construct powerful automations:
Install IFTTT and Link Accounts
- Download the IFTTT app on your iOS or Android device
- Enable Ecobee service and connect Ecobee account credentials
- Enable Ring service and log in into the Ring account
Browse Existing Applets
- IFTTT has pre-made applets for popular use cases like “If the door opens, then set thermostat away.”
Build Customized Applets
- Create your own personalized applets like:
- If the temperature drops below 60°F, turn on the porch light
- If the doorbell rings after 10pm, flash the living room lights red
With IFTTT, you can build highly customized automations that connect your Ecobee thermostats and Ring devices in ways impossible through native integrations alone.
Controlling Ecobee and Ring with Alexa Voice Commands
Another way to integrate Ecobee and Ring is by using Amazon Alexa, which is built into select Ecobee thermostat models or a separate Echo device:
Enable Ecobee Alexa Skill
- In the Alexa app, go to Skills > Add Skill > Search for Ecobee > Login to Ecobee account
Enable Ring Alexa Skill
- In the Alexa app, Add Skill > Search for Ring > Login to Ring account
Use Alexa Voice Commands
- “Alexa, set bedroom to 70 degrees.”
- “Alexa, show me the front door camera.”
- “Alexa set Ecobee to Away.”
- “Alexa, answer the doorbell.”
With Alexa Skills enabled you can control Ecobee temperature and schedules, view Ring cameras, and more completely hands-free.
Expanding Integration Of Ecobee and Ring Devices with Other Platforms
There are additional smart home platforms that can incorporate both Ecobee and Ring to extend capabilities further:
- Apple HomeKit: Control Ecobee and view Ring cameras via Home app or Siri.
- SmartThings: Manage Ecobee and Ring with other Samsung SmartThings devices.
- Google Assistant: Use Google voice commands for basic controls.
- IFTTT Geo-Fencing: Use location to trigger home/away routines.
By combining Ecobee and Ring into a larger connected ecosystem using HomeKit, SmartThings, or Google Assistant, the range of possible home automation grows even more robust.
Key Use Cases for Integrated Ecobee and Ring Systems
Here are some of the most practical examples of ways to utilize integrated Ecobee and Ring devices together:
- Energy Savings – Have Ecobee set to Away when everyone leaves home based on Ring Alarm being armed or door sensors.
- Enhanced Security – Flash Ecobee alerts, sound sirens, or turn on lights when Ring cameras detect motion or alarms are triggered.
- Remote Access – Monitor cameras and adjust thermostats from smartphone apps when away from home.
- Automatic Routines – Use Ring events like doorbell presses to automatically change temperature, disarm the security system, turn on lights, etc.
- Monitoring – Check live camera feeds and receive alerts if Ring detects activity during certain periods, like late at night or when kids get home from school.
- Hands-Free Control – Use Alexa with Ecobee and Ring enabled for voice-controlled automation.
There are many additional useful ways to leverage automation when thoughtfully integrating your Ecobee thermostats into an existing Ring home security ecosystem.
Best Practices for Connecting Ecobee and Ring
Follow these tips for the best results when linking your Ecobee and Ring platforms together:
- Update to latest firmware – Install current Ecobee and Ring firmware for maximum compatibility.
- Use strong, unique passwords – Don’t reuse passwords to avoid potential security risks.
- Enable 2-factor authentication – Add an extra account security layer where possible.
- Use a single Ring account – Link all Ring and Ecobee devices to one Ring account for simpler management.
- Group devices in software – Organize cameras, thermostats, and doorbells into rooms and groups in the apps.
- Label devices clearly – Name your devices in Ecobee and Ring apps for easy identification.
- Start simple – Begin with basic integrations and add complexity over time.
- Test automation – Review applets and voice commands to ensure they function as intended.
The ability to connect Ecobee smart thermostats with Ring’s security ecosystem provides robust home automation possibilities. With the native integration built into each platform’s apps, IFTTT’s flexible recipe creation, Alexa voice control, and support for third-party standards like HomeKit, there are diverse options for linking Ecobee and Ring.
Carefully enabling the integration capabilities between these two leading brands allows you to enjoy enhanced security, energy savings, remote access, and overall convenience. Just follow best practices like updating firmware, enabling two-factor authentication, and testing any automation you set up. The use cases are nearly endless for an integrated Ecobee and Ring environment!